Friday, October 31, 2008

You know you're the bad house when....


I have very fond memories of Halloween nights of yore. Trick-or-treating was an art form and always completely mapped out and planned well before dusk hit on All Hallow's Eve. I was never rich growing up so I never trick-or-treated in my own neighborhoods, nah, if you wanted the good stuff you had to hit the streets where the pockets were deep enough to fit the full-size candy bars. Chintzy plastic pumpkins and "goodie bags" were discarded in favor of large, sturdy pillowcases to properly carry the load.

I know, I know, as I think of this I am thinking no wonder I have such a strong sweet tooth as a adult! And these sorts of tactics do not bode well in an health-conscious, "worried about childhood obesity" society. (As well, they shouldn't) But back then, we didn't even think about those things. We played outside from dawn until dusk (and sometimes well after) so we more than burned off the sugar from our enormous Halloween stash. Though I probably can attribute a few of my fillings to it.
In any case, during my professional trick-or-treating days there were a few "taboo" treats that always elicited groans and mumbles of "a waste of 10 seconds walking up to the porch" etc, etc.

The following are on that list. If you have purchased these items, there is still time. You have the rest of the day to quickly go out and redeem yourself before you get permanently labeled as one of the "bad houses". Remember, it is "trick-or-treat" so if you don't serve up a good "treat", your liable to get a bad "trick" at some point. Oh, and don't come to my house, we're out all night with the kiddies so I leave the porch light off :)
(But don't worry, I bring the good stuff to all the trunk or treats and Halloween parties to make up for it)

The Dirty Dozen: From a kid perspective


1. Smarties-This is the worst of all the candy slights. Whoever came up with these chalky bits of dust was no smartie, that's for sure.

2. tootsie rolls-Sure they are good and combined with another treat, they are perfectly acceptable. But if you are handing out one single, tiny tootsie roll as a reward for the long schlep up your driveway: cheap.

4. those yucky orange and black taffies-Just because they dressed up barf in festive orange and black wrapper doesn't make it taste any better.


4. dum dum lollipops-I'm going to have to go with the pun again...whoever thought that a speck of a lollipop was better than the real thing was a real (insert pun here).

5. raisins- We hate these things in real life, why would we like them any better with a pumpkin on the front of the box?

6. assorted "hard" candy-We eat these things out of desperation at Grandma's house, but any other day a butterscotch or hard strawberry is not our idea of candy.

7. unwrapped candy-You are trying to poison us and we are telling on you as we speak.

8. generic "no-name" candy-We don't trust this dollar store variety any more than we trust the unwrapped junk. Don't you know what commercialization has done to our minds? Only brand names and labels make us feel safe.

9. "mini-size" candy bars-Look, we accepted the "fun-size" movement even though we can't explain how 1/4 of a candy bar is more "fun" than a full size one, but taking us down to one stingy, little bite? That's going too far.

10. candy corn-We much prefer our high-fructose corn syrup hidden nicely inside some tasty gummy treats, just injecting yellow and orange wax triangles with it is kind of gross.

11. "Super Bubble" bubble gum- There is nothing super about these old standbys that lose flavor after like 3-4 chews. So unless you are going to splurge on the good stuff, just bypass the bubble gum idea.

12. Sweet Tarts-These are just one step up from Smarties and you are walking on thin ice buddy.

Oh....and I almost forgot the worst of all Halloween treat abominations. The Toothbrush.
We know you didn't spring for 100+ of those fancy, cartoon-themed, battery-powered numbers that we use these days, so giving out the flimsy, economy-packed ones is not because you actually think we will be using it. No. You give the toothbrush as a matter of principle, a statement if you will. And how do you think this statement is received? Well, I think the egging speaks for itself.

Happy Halloween!!!!!

8 comments:

Jodi said...

I love the top ten list! I was totally dying reading it. I have to agree on the orange and black taffies. Gross! But I have to add one to the list- Bit O' Honey. Yuck! They are as hard as rocks and taste like card board. They should be banned from the Halloween candy aisle.

Maleen said...

I totally agree with both of you. My dad loved the Bit O' Honey so I always gave those to him. I tend to give out trinkets because I really think that children end up with plenty of candy, but if I do spend money on candy, I try to get the good stuff. Or at least Snickers, because I can eat those later.

Kristen said...

OHHHHH, now that is funny!!! I was seriously was laughing out loud while I was reading you post! I totally agree with you on the top ten list. Funny stuff! P.S. you are a great writer. I enjoy reading your blog.

Shane's Angie said...

I was so amused by your list, I read it outloud to my hubby! I agree on all accounts! The only thing candy corn is good for is to put in a halloween jar for decoration, then you toss them after it's over! (Are you so excited Adam is moving home?! I am!)

Tanya said...

This is sooo funny! I'm going to link your blog on my blog if you don't mind. I'll send you an invitation too. It's good to hear about your life!

Emily S. said...

BRILLIANT!!! This needs to be published somewhere!! So true, amen amen amen.

:) Loved the festive puke comment.

Jamie said...

You left something out: the coupons for a "sweet treat" at your local fast food joint. Its all about instant graitification people....not a paper that basically says "IOU." If you're skilled enough to get mom and dad to take you to Wendy's in the first place, there is no need for a silly little coupon for a free frosty you got at the neighbors to get you the frosty treat that you desire. Besides, you ain't settling for no "junior size" frosty. You want the real deal: 12 oz minimum.

Linda Winegar said...

LOL this is the best Halloween post ever. You made me LOL several times. I seriously enjoy all your posts. "chalky bits of dust" - my Favorite part. Okay I will have to say this....if it wasn't for the smarties and sweetTarts, I'd never get my sour candy fix. I love sour candy just as much as chocolate. I need variety you know. But I will have to agree a roll of sweetTarts is way better than the little tiny 3 pack, especially if they are all yellow. I hate yellow sweetTarts! I guess you'll be coming back to our house next year for the Full size again. But, we'll have to re-evaluate our budget because we will have a costume to buy and a child to spoil next Halloween. :) So we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for making me laugh. <3 Linda - www.winegarfamily.com/linda