Thursday, May 8, 2008

Impending Doom Awaits....


Friends...a new milestone awaits me just a few short days from this moment. As I sit here contemplating leaving my twenties behind, all I can think is...how did this happen?
I think I have been somewhat delusional. When I accompany my younger sister Jamie to local plays or performances of college singing groups where she might have a friend in the show, I have often found myself looking for people I know. Maybe someone I haven't seen in awhile will be in the show or something. Reality check: The someones I haven't seen in awhile are probably doing what I am usually doing: hanging at home with their kids. Sure, some of us still have time to perform in the occasional show or maybe I might see them in the audience having a much needed night out. But on the whole, I'm not in the college crowd any longer and I am more likely (and often do)run into old friends and acquaintances at Wal-mart shopping for groceries and trying to control little children that are attempting to leap from the cart or snag every sugar-filled treat that crosses their path.
I am now a full-fledged mother. Nevermind the fact that I have been raising children for almost five years now. I am going to be thirty and there is no going back.
Not that there is anything wrong with that. When I am forty or fifty I am going to look back at this time when my children were young and I was still able to keep up with them as the "golden years" of my life.
But for the next few days, I am just going mourn the loss of my "youth" and prepare myself to face life as a thirtysomething.
And then I will get over it.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Funny that 20 feels like "I've arrived!" and 30 feels like "Where have the last 10 years gone??" I'm so glad I found your blog, and I sent you an invite to mine!

Dottie Stay said...

Um, I totally hear ya! I will turn the big 30 in Janaruy, so I still have a few precious months to enjoy. I know exactly what you mean about going places, and oh, that's right I am not going to see anyone I know except at the store. I think that I can still relate to the High School kids in my ward, but that is really not the case. I look in the mirror and get a rude awakening! So sorry about Zander's rash! That is not fun, and especially with his helmet. They should tell you what to watch for if the poor kids get hot. What a trooper he is! I love the family picutres!!

P and L said...

THIRTY!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING! 30! JAMIE IS THE NEW YOU AND YOUR THE NEW APRIL! LOOK HOW LONG IT TAKES TO COUNT TO THIRTY:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30

HOLY CRRRRRRAAAAP! THIRTY! YOU KNOW COSTCO SELLS COFFINS. YEAH, YOU MIGHT WANNA LOOK THAT UP, YOUR TIMES A COMING! 30!

Well, at least you can take comfort in the fact you married well and your 26 year old husband can take care of your kids in your senility.


...and Melinda, shut up about January... nothings happening in January.

~p

Jen said...

I am right there with you. In September it will be my turn. But, I am actually looking forward to it. I made a lot of dumb mistakes in my twenties-- good riddens! Hopefully my thirties will be more fulfilling with the little fam Rich and I have created!

Deanne said...

Don't worry. I'll show you the ropes. I'm well into my thirties (I turned 31 a short while ago), and it's not as bad as it seems.

Jodi said...

I am sorry- Dave turned 29 on Sunday and he is dreading the big 30 next year. I remember thinking that people in their 30's were so old! ha! Where have those days gone?

Spencer and Joanie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I know it is exactly 7:24 PM on your actual birthday that I am typing this but I just want you to know that I logged on JUST FOR YOU!!!

I hope that you are alive and well and that your day was fabulous...especially since I will be joining you in about 9 days.

I am sure you look and feel WONDERFUL! At least you look wonderful...you will have to tell me how you feel!

Again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jamie said...

HA HA! I'm still twenty five! And single....with no children...and no degree...nothing to show for my life. Wait, I thought this was supposed to be insulting to you here, how did this happen?

Emily S. said...

Jamie's comment just now made me laugh and laugh...

And 30 is hot. I should know.

:)

Maleen said...

yeah, 30. I mentally stopped at 23 so every year I am a bit shocked when I get older. I am right with you though. The thirties are rapidly approaching and I will cry a little and get over it.

Ker said...

Hey wait a minute! I am 41! AND I am not dead yet! Enjoy your 30's they were actually my favorite years!