
So, I went on a diet, or for those of you who hate that word: "lifestyle change". If there is one thing that makes all the difference in a diet, it is accountability. That is what this post is for, I'm putting it out there so that I know that you all know so that means when I am absolutely dying for some ice cream at 10pm at night, I can say to myself "Not only do I know I am on a diet, but they all know I am on one too and if I sabotage it now, everyone will know I failed."
Now, I know you all are wonderfully sensitive and kind friends and family that would never rub failure in my face (my sister Jamie excluded), but nobody likes public humiliation so I am forcing myself to face it in hopes it will give me the kick in the (big) butt I need.
The "diet" is one that I have done before, I lost almost 18lbs in one month right before I got pregnant with Zander and it all went down the tubes again. The first nine days, or phase one, is basically just eating fruits and vegetables with a few welcome servings of brown rice, beans, egg whites and yogurt to get protein. Each phase you gradually add in other foods until you are back at a tolerable and more maintainable eating lifestyle that includes some of your favorites. The whole mention of "phases" and "forbidden foods" probably makes a lot of you cringe (me too), but the truth is if someone just says "I am going to eat healthier" they are really not taking a good look at their diet where it is and where it should be. Somewhere between convenience, food budget and just plain delicious taste-processed and unhealthy garbage has become our staple. By going back to basics, I am attempting to retrain my body with a foundation on what my diet should be based upon: fruits and vegetables. And, taking a tip from the Biggest Loser, I am allowing myself one cheat meal a week because you've got to have something to look forward to, right?
Besides being a ravenous beast for the first few days, there are some other drawbacks to a healthy lifestyle. Fresh produce is really expensive these days and hard to keep, it tends to go bad before I make my next shopping trip. It is also very tedious to have to actually prepare every meal or snack. By the time I allow myself to go to the kitchen for either I have an uncontrollable drive to grab the Cheez-Its and pour them down my throat, not sit there for five or ten minutes and cut up fruit or chop broccoli. Sigh....
I have come to wholeheartedly recognize that food is my weakness. I am a comfort food eater. I have been diligently going to the gym since the beginning of the year, religiously torturing myself through spin and powerpump classes. I have even fooled myself into thinking I'm eating "healthy", which for the most part is true, but when you are saddled with unforgiving genes just deciding to eat healthier isn't going to help you get back into your unforgiving jeans :)
Since I've brought up the subject of genes, I am taking the liberty to vent for a moment. While I choke down yet another serving of vegetables my husband spends the night happily gorging himself on his second bowl of ice cream, and leaving a dozen sweet smelling wrappers strewn about that once enveloped sugary delights such as fruit snacks and granola bars which he has inhaled. He has followed this diet regime for as long as I can remember and still fits into the same waist size as when we were married. What the h---? And I am the one that is supposed to carry the children? That wouldn't be so bad except that along with pregnancy comes the hormonal (and genetic) tendency...make that guarantee...that nature is going to reward your taxing maternal efforts with an extra layer of flab to "protect" the baby. And to make sure you eat enough to sustain the baby, you will also be endowed with the appetite of an elephant that of course will result in said extra layer of flab to protect the baby...
But all my whining isn't going to change the fact that it is what it is and if I don't starve myself (in a manner of speaking), I'm not going to see those old jeans I love on my behind ever again. Which brings me to the point of clothing. On our very first Christmas together as a married couple, David bought me all of these gorgeous clothes that I absolutely love. The very next month I was pregnant with Ashton and a few more months after that those beautiful clothes went to the back of the closet....where they have stayed for the last five years. I never got a chance to enjoy them and, in style or not anymore, I am going to wear those clothes again.
So here I am, day four of my new life and four pounds lighter already. Oh, who am I kidding..pass the cheesecake :)
Monday, May 19, 2008
I'm Putting it all out there....
Posted by Stacy at 1:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Stacy, you make me laugh! I think you always look fantastic no matter what!!! I was just about ready to come back to your site and comment on your wonderful celebration, and then you had posted a new post. I hate starting the whole diet thing. The beginning is the worst! I once took a picture of myself in a sports bra and bottoms. I put it in my closet so i could see it and it would motivate me. Yet some how all it did was depress me! I didn't even recognize my sorry fat self. Having kids changes EVERYTHING no matter what you do!
Oh, Stacy! I am with you. My husband could eat whatever he dang well wanted and he would stay a stick. Life is not fair.
You crack me up, and I loved the unforgiving genes/jeans :)
For the record, I have always thought you looked great, but I think we are our own worst critics and we can always remember how it used to be.
I myself am not looking forward to fighting the extra baby fat layer once again, but I should not complain since I actually have some forgiving genes :)
I wish you all the success in the world! Wonderfully delightful post, and LOVED the vegetable art! Good luck with your genes and your jeans!
Stacy,
Oh I love this post. I am not a fan of the diet. I've been thinking (only thinking, mind you) about eating healthier and I am just not looking forward to it. I just keep delaying my start time. Kudos that you're actually starting. And I agree with Melinda that you basically give control of your body away when you have kids. So, what can you do?
I couldn't have said it better myself. I always feel like I'm on a perpetual diet, and whoever said, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels," hasn't eaten the good foods I've had!
So doesn't help that my husband is 145 pounds and can eat a whole pint of Haagen Daz ice cream almost every night and not gain a single pound. I look at the stuff and "blow up like a macy's day float". Good luck!
Now listen, I do enjoy the fact that you obsess over me and give me a cameo appearance in half your posts, its flattering really. But I resent the comment that I "rub failure in your face." I do nothing of the sort. Anyways, I just enjoyed my last late night run with Jaremy to sconecutter for some frozen yogurt and spicy fries. I shall now be joining you on the die-it. And it will be exactly that. The starvation diet that makes you want to die! But you know what's going to get me through the first few days? The mental picture you so graciously provided of my sister with the appetite of an elephant pouring cheese-its down her throat. That's enough to get anyone through a hard time :)
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have decided we are all in need of some dietary changes at my house. It's depressing to think about, really. Why is it so easy to gain weight and practically impossible to lose it again? My downfall is stress - when everything in my life is going well, I manage to eat healthy food. But when things are not (and that's been the case lately), I head for the chocolate and the Pepsi. And the fries. And the doughnuts. And - well, you get the picture.
Post a Comment