Look, mothers of boys want to dress their kids somewhat stylishly too. Now, I never really thought much about this until I became said mother of boys who wants to dress her kids stylishly too because I grew up in a house full of girls. Not that we were the fashionistas on the block or anything (though I was pretty cool rocking my peach jean jacket and miniskirt in 6th grade), but at least we had options you know what I mean?
Little girls get to wear cute things like this:

Boys have the option of sporting the standard polo and overalls:

Or worst of all, the creation which mothers detest above all else...the obligatory brightly colored screen tee with loud pictures of superheroes all over it:
The manufacturers of these "shirts" knew exactly what they were doing. They know boys and boys only want to wear these shirts morning, noon and night (and Sunday too if I would let them). And then they took the merchandising hysteria to a whole new level by attaching toys to the shirts which basically seals the deal. No self-respecting little boy can refuse the loud proclamation of loyalty to his favorite superhero emblazoned on his chest, PLUS a cool new motorcycle toy with Spiderman in the driver's seat.
Just go into any children's clothing store and you will find 75% of the store decked out in the most adorable little girl outfits and accessories. You must wade through all this cuteness to find the boy's section suffocating in the corner with like three racks of polos and jeans (or if you are at a big store, of course, 3 walls covered in superhero T-shirts). Come on! You're killing me. Particularly because David insists that our boys not wear polo shirts because they are too preppy.
I took my son Ashton (4 1/2) and my nephew Jaden (6 1/2) shopping last night at the mall. It was all I could do to get two decent outfits out of the trip after saying No about a million times to Spiderman (Ashton), Power Rangers (Jaden), Hulk (Ashton) and Monster Trucks (Jaden), but eventually leaving the store with one of each.
All I am saying is, let's get some recognition for a growing brood of smart and handsome little guys who aren't afraid to be a little fashion conscience (or at least acknowledge their mother's desperate desires for them to be).
Sunday, March 2, 2008
A note to the Children's Fashion Industry:
Posted by Stacy at 3:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh, Stacy, I hear ya. Unfortunately, my boys are the preppy kids... polo's are all over the house. The boys section is always the same. Same colors, same style, same everything! Whats a mom to do?
As I am now facing a daughter who won't wear anything "tight" or with long sleeves and would prefer (and by prefer I mean it is a fiery battle whenever I insist otherwise) to wear LONG dresses a-la-princess all the time, I am sad to read this post and forsee the battles of the future when my son can articulate his fashion choices. Thank you for the warning.
On the other side, as a mom of three girls, it is hard not to buy something every time I go to the store. There is always an outfit cuter than the one you bought last time. Fortunately my girls haven't noticed yet and I only have to control my own impulses...but I can see it coming like a tidal wave. I hope I don't get buried.
Let's start a petition. Where do I sign? I always swore that my boys wouldn't wear the character shirts, yet somehow we have more than a few that have managed to sneak in their drawers. Your boys always look very put together! I don't think I've ever seen them not looking sharp.
Hell, yeah, girl. Amen a thousand times over. (!!!!!!)
Can't I get a little "Euro-Style" somewhere? Really?
Very eloquently written.
I am right there with you 100%! What are our options! That is the only reason I would like a girl. To dress her. I refuse to buy the charcter clothes. I just can't do. Why, I wonder if I am a terrible mother when Ethan wants to wear his lightning Mcqueen shirt and I pick something else out for him to wear. I mean at least the princess stuff is still cute and pink instead of tie dyed superman attire.
I think everyone should have a little girl to dress her up! I have also noticed that the boy's section seems smaller than the girls.
Oh- and I am sorry about the character shirts. I try to stay far far away from them, but I am sure that day will come for us as well.
I don't know why princess outfits look cute out in public, but superheros look like "Mom doesn't care". You guys seem to manage it pretty well- a long-sleeve under the T-shirt at least says "Mom cares enough to not fight this battle."
(Well written, Stacy! I could never expect less from Bob's daughter.)
Post a Comment