Guess what...I'm pregnant! No, no, no...I'm just kidding. I know, I know, that is nothing to joke about, but I noticed on a few other blogs that baby announcements were getting some major comment posting action so I got jealous.
We did have a slight scare though just this week, but with a little baby (well, little is relative) still crawling around I am DEFINITELY not ready to add to the brood right now.
So, back to the subject of my post. One of the best things about having sons is watching them reveal traits and characteristics of their father. It is very endearing and makes me love them all so much more. It also reminds me that David is still just a boy at heart.
We have the channel Boomerang at our house that broadcasts old cartoons from back in day. I have even caught myself watching it sometimes. You remember when Saturday morning cartoons were like the highlight of the week? We are talking vintage episodes of The Smurfs, Snorks, Scooby Doo, Jetsons, you name it. I am still holding out for The Gummy Bears, which was my personal favorite.
Every once in awhile they switch up their schedule to add in a few "new" shows. One night, Ashton apparently saw a new cartoon and would not stop talking about it. He was running around "transforming" and fending off bad guys while shouting "Cybertron! Defender of the Universe!" He constantly asked when it was going to be on again. Something rang a bell about the title and I remembered David telling me once a long time ago about an old cartoon that he was absolutely obsessed with when he was around Ashton's age. It was called Voltron, he owned all the toys and when it was cancelled David cried for days.
I got on the internet and discovered that it was the exact same cartoon, Voltron: Defender of the Universe circa 1986. (Cybertron was where they lived). Now David and Ashton are perusing the internet for the perfect vintage Voltron action figures and I think David is just as excited as Ashton.

It's interesting that after all the new developments in animation that it really is the same basic thing that appeals to boys, no matter the generation.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Like Father...Like Son
Posted by Stacy at 9:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That is so funny! It is true. My boys are just minitures of their dad. I once said to Rich, "Parker is just like you!" Rich replied, "No he's not." I was caught off guard. I said, "Why don't you want him to be like you?" He answered, "I want him to be better." I almost cried! Too cute. Boys are the best.
I love old cartoons, mostly because the cartoons now-days suck!! They are all so freaky looking, so I am up for some old fashioned Scooby Doo any day. I really liked Gem and My Little Ponies. But then again, I was a girl. Oh, but my favorite, hands down, was He-Man.
Okay, and now I have to comment on your comment. Maybe I should just call you and we can reminisce about old cartoons.
See although I apparently can't spell Jem, I know the theme song too. Tyler doesn't like to mention her, because I have to sing the WHOLE song (because I love it) and when I say He-man, that automatically includes She-ra of course. The library doesn't have any old episodes of them. Do you know where I can find some??
So funny. I totally relate! It brings Darin joy beyond words when our boys enjoy cartoons from his era. Some favorites recently are Star Blazers and Speed Racer. What happened to Saturday Morning Cartoons, anyway? I miss the classics. And congrats on the fake pregnancy announcement! I hope it elicits a ton of comments!
Post a Comment