Friday, February 22, 2008

Someone else's funniest story....

This one's for Keri. Trying to remember "my funniest moment" is not yielding much of a selection. I mean, I consider myself to be pretty funny, but one-liners (even if ever so perfectly timed) do not necessarily go down in history as memorable. Looking back I could not think of one thing that was appropriate (i.e. family-friendly) or that would not be deemed a "you-had-to-be-there" type of story. Maybe some of my old friends out there can remind me since I have such a bad memory sometimes.
So I ran it by David and he reminded me of an incident of his a few years back that made me cackle for hours (yes, if you have heard my real, can't-control type of laugh, it very much resembles a cackle-AND I DON'T WANT ANY SMART COMMENT POSTS ON THAT ONE EITHER :)
Okay, so David is out running a few errands and a policeman pulls up behind him. He immediatly goes into evasive mode because our tags were expired. We usually protest for about a month before we finally cave and go pay the stupid fee and renew the tags. I mean, why does the state get to charge us tax every year for our cars, we already paid for them? But back on the subject, he wasn't doing a very good job because the policeman noticed his elusive maneuvers right away and started following him. Trying to look like he had a purpose, he pulled into a neighborhood and noticed immediately that it was a dead end. He knew he had to do something, he had to appear as if he had a reason to be on this cul-de-sac or surely he would be caught. Impulsively, he pulled into one of the driveways (thinking he would just pull out in a minute when the cop left) but the dang police officer actually pulled over to watch him! With no other options, he got out and walked up to the front door.
A guy answers the door (why didn't he just pretend to knock?) and at a loss for words, David says "Hi, is John here?" to which the guy immediatly responds "This is John." (chirp, chirp...this is the sound of a cricket while David just stands there blank-faced). I mean what are the odds? He had nothing...nothing.
"Oh....John Smith? Is this the Smith residence?" (Let me just stop here, how much more generic can you get than John Smith, I mean come on, that could have been half of Utah County right there). Luckily, the guy said "Oh, no, no this is not the Smith residence."
"Oh, aren't there any Smiths on this street?" David asks.
"No, not that I know of."
"Oh, well I obviously pulled onto the wrong street," David said with a smirk, a pun that would of course go completely over the guy's head. By now though, David was in the clear and was able to ungracefully exit the whole debacle and get back to the car and leave.
...Making the DMV his next stop, it just wasn't worth it.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Hilarious! I can't believe he had the guts to do that! And I thought you were going to say that the police officer pulled him over in the end. But he didn't- amazing!

Maleen said...

Okay, that was freaking hilarious. I can totally see Dave doing that. Apparently people pull off more often than I think to avoid the police. Tyler pulled off to the nearest business in his trash-mobile and realized he was at a luxury car dealership. Just a little awkward.

Spencer and Joanie said...

So I have to admit...I am blog stalking and I thought I would say 'Hi'! I can't not believe how gorgeous your boys are! It is good to catch up with you and see what you have been up to since the last time we spoke(probably 3 years ago :( ) Your husband is pretty clever! That story is very funny!

P and L said...

Love it! Could not be better.

Emily S. said...

I was feeling anxious FOR him!!! The whole story!!

Funny...

S&F Seminario said...

That is a GREAT story. I will be thinking of funny ones about you, though. I'm sure I can think of something.

Unknown said...

You're probably glad he isn't trying to be a sneaky criminal, I don't know how far he'd get, then again, he's shown that he's willing to do whatever it takes:)