Sunday, July 6, 2008

Let Freedom Ring: Part One


The Summer Holidays. So I'll admit, I'm not much of a "summer girl". I mean, I like the season fine enough and I do like the beach and all that (though we don't really have one), it is just that the heat begins to wear on me very quickly and by July, I can't wait for the cool down of Autumn. Plus, when I think of a holiday, only one season comes to mind for me: Christmas (I am a self-professed Christmas Junkie).
But...
The activities and traditions of the 4th of July do hold a certain appeal and I find myself looking forward to this summertime celebration with a tinge of anticipation.
As we have every year, we decided to brave the Freedomfest parade in Provo. Each year without fail, my grandma puts up her old chairs the day before (I believe she has had them since WWII) and we all endure the heat for two hours then head over to her house for a BBQ. Here is a "vintage" shot of David and I on our first Grandma Stone July 4th BBQ back in 2001 when we were dating....

(It's kind of grainy because I scanned it off of a scrapbook, but don't we look young? I mean not that we are old...)
But back to the parade, Zander camped out in as much shade as we could muster and he pretty much didn't move the whole parade. He wasn't really feeling well and moving induced too much heat so he just vegged out and we kept him hydrated and sunscreen-lathered.




The boys enjoyed much of the parade, but they too were complaining of the heat even though we were lucky enough to have it be overcast about 75% of the time. I guess we are going to have to become diehards and fight for the shady side next year.









This was the cutest float I thought:

Though the boys really liked this Pirates of the Caribean one, of course. Leave it to Wal-mart to find the most commercial way to spend the holiday and advertise their business:

What!? A Llama!? (Said in my best, "Emperor's New Groove" impression)

But who would want to have this guys job?


We made it through and took the hundred mile trek back to our car.


Over at grandma's, David got stuck with BBQ duty again. David pretty much gets obligated with all of the "man" duties when it comes to my family because the only other son-in-law, Julene's husband Russell, is usually working and can't make it down from Salt Lake and my Dad does not participate in "man" duties....
As you can see, he was less than thrilled.


Zander became increasingly tired, overheated and sick looking (his massive amounts of slobber pinpointed the problem: Teething, he has several molars coming in and it is making him miserable).



And my little niece Olivia (we all call her Livvy) just generally wandered around looking cute and charming all those in her path:

After the BBQ, we took Zander home for a much needed nap. David saw "Hancock" with his brother (he said it was pretty good) and later Ashton and I went and saw "Wall-E" with all the cousins. I absolutely loved this movie. So cute. I was a little disappointed to hear we were going to see it at the Scera which I have always viewed as the outdated and ancient grandma of the movie theatre community, however when I discovered that it appears they have refurbished the seats, they sell kid's packs of popcorn, soda and a treat for only $2 AND admission price is a full $2 below what those other Big Daddy megaplexes are selling them for, I have now been converted to a Scera fan. It is amazing what motherhood does to you.
That night we went back to Provo for our other yearly tradition of viewing the fireworks from the comfort of a warm blanket on the soft lawn of BYU campus. I love the atmosphere here: families all gathered amphitheater style on the grass with children running around with sparklers waiting for the display to begin. Ashton enjoyed throwing those ridiculous and annoying popper things on the sidewalk for a good 5 minutes until they were all gone and the ground was littered with their remains.




And Zander (nestled in Grandma's lap, his favorite spot) was enthralled by the glowsticks she had brought the kids.



Ashton liked them too, he discovered they resembled light sabers from Star Wars and he entertained himself with a dual between Luke Skywalker (himself) and Darth Vader (Daddy) until the fireworks began.

Then we all enjoyed lounging comfortably as they thundered up above:




David and I with Ashton (Zander insisted on viewing from Grandma's lap)


My dad, Alisha and Jaden and Chase


We have been into the Stadium of Fire a few times as well, and don't get me wrong, I would have enjoyed seeing Hannah Montana over the other standard country acts they usually have (not for $100 bucks a pop though), but there is something so comforting and nostalgic about hanging out with everyone on the grass, freeloading on the fireworks display.
That is until the show ends and it is time to go home.
Then is when all good will and pleasantries are discarded for a pure and unadulterated desire to get the heck out of there before the traffic will nearly suffocate all the holiday spirit out of you. Right as the firework "Grand Finale" begins, people start packing up and moving out in a surge pouring onto the sidewalks and streets. Lawnchairs become become means of prodding those in front of you to move more quickly and strollers become weapons of speed and momentum as you sail through throngs of people, infants gripping on for dear life.
To David's credit, we made it out of there in record time this year even after staying to view the Grand Finale. As soon as we were in the car, he was on a mission: see brakelights, detour immediatly. Within minutes we were safely on the freeway and well ahead of the traffic choke that was about to ensue. We know. We have endured many hours in years past in those hopeless bumper to bumper masses that fill every street. But we were home and kids tucked in bed by 11:30....
All in all, we had a good day. Funny thing about "family fun" is that even the best laid plans are usually marred by the reality that is parenthood. I try to focus on the moments (as I have in this post) that make everything worth it. But usually a family outing is comprised of 80% chaos: whining children, crying babies, overwhelming heat, constant bathroom breaks, and on and on. The other 20% is what it was supposed to be: fun activities and bonding. But hey, at the end of the day, there isn't anything I would rather be doing than hanging out with these little angels:



Cool picture, huh? Sometimes, taking pics sans the flash turns out well. And though it is kind of belated...Happy Fourth of July!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! You are brave to handle the heat. My kids don't know there's a parade... and we were all so tired that night that we watched the fireworks on t.v.! Looks like a fun holiday!

Cindy B said...

It looks like you had a great time! Check out Randy's blog for his account of being one of the unlucky ones stuck in the traffic for hours and hours. He had to pick the girls up from Stadium of Fire. I thought he would never make it back.ut

Jenny said...

Stacey, I loved your post about your 4th of July. We decided to skip the parade this year in Provo so thankyou for a few pictures. I got my fix. We need to get together. Send me an email. We will be out of town most of this week, but next week. Lets do it. Very cool pictures with the glow sticks by the way. I love the colors!

Michelle said...

I love the fourth around here. I was sad to miss it since we were going to be in Oregon, but found that there were fun traditions to be had there. Amazing how life changes with kids. Would have to use the same percentage for us only about 20% good. Hopefully it's the 20% the kids (and us adults too) will remember.

Deanne said...

What a fun day! I can't wait for part two!

Jamie said...

MIA: Jamie. Stuck working a double at Chilis nad doomed to make no money. By the way, David looks totally wierd and different in that pic!

Dottie Stay said...

You are always good for a great post. Thanks for the comment on my blog. It would be great for Ethan as well to together. He is a shy little guy too. Maybe we could meet at a park or something? Alright, I was a little offended about the SCERA comment, but then you redeemed yourself. Just Kidding. I have always and forever will be a SCERA Junkie, but then again you know why. The fourth for you guys sounded like a blast. You and David are such a beautiful couple! Your kids are the cutest too!