Monday, July 21, 2008

Happy Anniversary!!!

Celebrating 6 years of love, laughter, tears, pain, joy, sadness, passion, irritation and everything else that comes with marrying your best friend....



This last Friday, July 18th, David and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary. So in honor of that momentous occasion, I present the "Husband Tag" accompanied with some priceless memories that depict our journey over the last seven years (married six, dating one):

How long did you date?

Our official first date was on his birthday, April 6, but we knew each other (and flirted) for about 6 months prior. We married July of the next year, so we dated a year and 2 ½ months.

How old is he?

He is 26 years old and I am…gasp…30! I am nearly four years older than him, and he never let’s me forget it.

Who eats more?



When he actually sits down to eat, he can eat much, much more than me. But he tends to forget to eat a lot, which NEVER happens to me :)

Who said "I love you" first?


I did, I thought about it a long time (because he never actually said “I love you” just different versions of it) and finally just said it…. he must have been holding it in because he immediately unleashed all his feelings in one long breath, it was so sweet.

Who kissed who first?



He kissed me on our first date at the end of the evening and I have never felt such electricity in a kiss. This is probably because I had been waiting for him to kiss me for a while. Though we had not been on an official date yet, there were many opportunities hanging out with our friends where we ended up alone and he could have kissed me, but (to my frustration) he didn’t. This is because he read my motives early on (he was correct, he was a lot younger than me so I was only looking for a brief fling) and wanted to make sure I was somewhat invested in the idea of him before he did. Brilliant plan (see I said “I love you” first comment).

Who is taller?


He is about ½ inch to an inch taller than me, though we kind of appear to be the same height. Although I don’t usually wear heels, he has become a lot more comfortable over the years with me being taller when I do.

Who sings better?



I do…well, I used to. My voice has gone downhill the last few years because of lack of practice. He has a pretty good voice himself and is a really good bass in choir.

Who is smarter?

We always say that I am “book smarter” and he is “street smarter”. I have him on the educational stuff, but he knows more about life and the world than I do. He also knows a lot more about science than I do because he really enjoys those National Geographic shows and I just crammed my way through my science-related college courses. I definitely think you retain more knowledge when you actually enjoy the subject.

Whose temper is worse?


They are pretty equal, though I think his comes out more often. David says that my temper often resembles the tantrums of a three-year-old. Hey…I believe that stomping your foot is a very effective way of communicating anger.

Who does the laundry?


I do, and I hate it. He actually fed me a line when we were dating that if I washed he would fold….ha! He has yet to fold a full load of laundry. Dirty tricks…

Who does the dishes?



I do, and I hate it. I can maybe get him to do it every once in a while when I ask incessantly, but then I have to rearrange the dishwasher when he is done because he doesn’t have the patience to put them in the “right” way (i.e. the “Stacy” way).

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed?



Laying down, he is on the right and always has been, even though the way our room is now, I am closest to the door which freaks me out because I am a total scaredy cat.

Who pays the bills?


I do, and I hate it. Though, if you took this question literally he pays the bills because it is his income that covers most of them.

Who mows the lawn?

Currently, the HOA. But in our old house David was a master lawn care guru, he could keep that grass so thick and green it was amazing. The HOA doesn’t do such a good job, and I keep hoping that it will get David to help them out a bit, but so far, it’s a no go.

Who cooks dinner?


Me. Always, unless he is cooking meat on the BBQ. I even have to put his frozen dinners into the microwave for him if I haven’t cooked that night. It is not that he can’t do it, it is just he would rather fill up on junk food that’s easy to grab than bother with a meal that might take time (i.e. more than 30 seconds) to prepare. He has cooked breakfast for me on special occasions but we both agree my scrambled eggs put his to shame.

Who drives when you are together?



He nearly always does. Even on long road trips. He actually enjoys driving while I think it is such a nuisance.

Who is more stubborn?



Hmmmm. This one is hard. On the surface, I appear more stubborn (see stomping foot comment), but he is very underhandedly stubborn so I am going to give it to him.

Who is the first to admit when they are wrong?


Him, 100%. I still haven’t admitted I am wrong for a few things. This is because I over-think everything and end up justifying my behavior with things he has done. I know..I know…

Whose parents do you see the most?


I would say we seem them equal. We used to live across the street from my parents, which was a bad idea. Now, we have David’s mom watch our children a few times a week. We “hang” out with my parents more since we all have season passes to Lagoon and Ashton likes to play with Jaden who lives with my parents.

Who proposed?



He did, after a limo ride and dinner at The Roof. He had insisted that my ring wasn’t ready yet and we were only celebrating our first anniversary of dating (he even had my sister Jamie vehemently back up this story). But he barely ate anything at dinner, which was my first clue because David is not one to be offered great food and turn it down. He was painfully nervous as we walked around Temple Square and kept fiddling with his coat pocket. From that moment on, I had no doubt he was going to do it. But I still burst into tears when he got on one knee and pulled out the ring.
Who is more sensitive?



Me, 100%. But he is not without a sensitive side, but only I know how to reach it.

Who has more friends?



He keeps in touch and hangs out with his friends more, but I am doing pretty well now that I am blogging. He would say he has more friends, but I think mine are better friends…ha, ha.

Who has more siblings?



I have four sisters and he has only one sister and brother.

Who wears the pants in the family?



David would like to think he does and in a lot of circumstances he does, but I know he wouldn’t dare make a big decision without me so I would say we both have one leg firmly planted in each pant leg, does that work?

And here we are today.....


We had an awesome anniversary weekend. David's parents came over and stayed overnight with the kids. I burned a few CDs with songs that meant something to us over the years as a weekend soundtrack for us (I included a few on my temporary playlist to serve as background for this post). We drove around in a convertible (that gave us sunburns!) and went up to Salt Lake and lounged around the Lagoon waterpark for awhile (no kids to worry about!!) then had a completely indulgent dinner at Cheesecake Factory. I spent the weekend throwing diet restrictions to the wind and it felt great! We ate Slushies at the pool and potato chips and soda at 2 in the morning, it was perfect.
We also saw Batman and to top it all off......slept in late Sunday morning in a quiet hotel room with no children to wake us up.
I married the most adventurous, fun-loving, yet caring and gentle guy and we complete eachother and drive eachother crazy at the same time. Our kids make us insanely happy (and drive US crazy) and we are living this life one day at a time. I love you David, let's keep making it up as we go along...

14 comments:

Deanne said...

What a delightful post! Happy Anniversary. It sounds like a perfect way to spend the weekend! I love the picture under "who proposed". David looks like he's trying to figure out what flavor of chapstick you have on!

Dottie Stay said...

Happy Anniversary! You always look great. ALL your photos you look perfect. What a beautiful couple. Seriously, of course your kids are flawless. I liked the little quiz or what ever that was. Great idea. Congrats, and here is so MANY more years! Much love Stac!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! That was a really cute post! I might have to borrow your idea when my anniversary comes around! Congrats and here's to many more happy years!

Cindy B said...

That's such a fun post! happy anniversary to you both and I hope it just keeps getting better.

Maleen said...

That was just so stinking cute. I LOVED all the pictures. You two make the cutest couple. Maybe even cuter than me and Tyler (gasp!).
Happy Anniversary.
This post makes me really want a summer anniversary.

Kellie said...

Wow I am so glad you had such a great anniversary! I have to say I have always been so impressed at how well you do your callings! I loved watching and hearing you share your talents as ward choir director and also loved that you loved my daughter liz in your class! I think you really helped her start to enjoy church and just wanted you to know I appreciated that and admire that about you!

Linda Winegar said...

Awe...Happy Anniversary!!! You guys are such a beautiful couple & family and I am so glad you scrapbooked all your pics and shared them here. You're such a great wife. Oh man...I had a digital camera and lost most of our "first" pics. :( Oh well. You guys rock!
Linda

S&F Seminario said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. I am so happy you two found each other and that LDC helped out with another eternal union.
You have not aged one moment, either of you, and you look so happy. Congratulations!

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary! I love that you look like you haven't aged a bit - either of you! Fun post. Loved the stories and the pictures (especially your scanned scrapbook pages).

Emilie said...

I loved this post with all the pictures! It was a fun way to get to know you a little more. I do have to say that your hair is sooo beautiful! Happy Anniversary!

Jodi said...

I loved reading this post! I feel like I know you guys so well now. Oh how times flies- Happy Anniversary!

Jenny said...

Oh Stacey, thank you for the beautiful post on your 6 years together. You two are such a gorgeous couple. It's so wonderful to see two people so in love still. There are so many families breaking apart. We need to get together! My kids are healthy and we have no plans this week. Please call me. I want to post my phone number, but I'm nervous about blog stockers. Send me an email at freezer dinner at gmail dot com. Take that spammers! My 6 year anniversary is coming up in August. I may copy a number of your ideas.

Doug and Becca said...

I loved your post. All the pictures the went with the topics were very nice. Good idea. Happy Aniversary

Tyson,Brandy,Chanel, Crew said...

Wow what an awesome post!!! I can see why you were disappointed with my post. Don't worry I am going to post more pictures. I didn't post any because I didn't have any on my computer from our wedding day & then my husbands work computer crashed & he took our home computer until we got the other one fixed & to top it off I
forgot to bring my camera when we went on our anniversary trip and had to buy a cheap one & I need to go pick them up still. So don't worry I will post some pics soon. Thanks again for such a cute post to read. :)