This is a chronicle of our Saturday adventure at Orem's annual Summerfest
Each summer the same parade, the same rides and the same junk food make the rounds in Utah County under the disguise of varying "fairs" that are aptly titled to fit the personality of the city that hosts them. Pleasant Grove's "Strawberry Days", American Fork "Steel Days", Spanish Fork "Fiesta Days", etc. etc. We usually make a stop at Orem's Summerfest because we don't like steel, we don't think strawberries should be given their own days (we believe in equal opportunity for fruit) and just because a city has "Spanish" in their name it doesn't necessarily qualify them for a true "fiesta".
We usually also attend Provo's "Freedom Days" because they get the cream of the crop when it comes to traveling circus acts because they secured the coveted 4th of July timeslot.
Last weekend, Summerfest made its debut and we decided to avoid the heat of the day on Saturday and not join the festivities until early evening when the parade began. After arguing over a parking spot with me for twenty minutes David finally settled on the farthest one possible (this is his usual routine when it comes to parking, don't ask me why), never mind the fact that I was wearing a knee brace because I nearly killed myself (oh alright, I twisted my knee badly) at the gym the day before.
We seated ourselves on the curb around 6:30 towards the beginning of the route and everyone was in good moods.
7:00 rolled around and we weren't getting much action. A helicopter or two flew overhead and random people draped in red, white and blue crepe paper and accessories were moseying down the route sporadically. Some even (literally) dragging their dogs or young children with them.

Were we supposed to be entertained by this? And who convinces these people that this is a good idea? They all looked a little embarrassed and we were for them as well. And the troops (my troops that is) were getting bored. 
After fifteen to twenty minutes of this, Ashton exclaimed "This parade has already started and it sucks! Let's go!" Many people laughed, including David and I, but I heard a few snickers from parents so I felt compelled to add "Ashton that is not appropriate" between stifled laughs.
So the parade finally begins twenty or so minutes late (I can't imagine how those farther down the route were wrangling their children). Pretty standard fare which kind of got old after awhile.
A few minutes into the parade, we had a little visitor. The mother behind us calmly exclaimed "Oh, there's a snake," and then proceeds to pick it up with her bare hands! What!? I jumped five feet and freaked out knowing the slimy creature was moments from slithering up my backside. I think the lady thought I was really weird though because after making a huge scene over the revolting pest, I quickly asked to take a picture of it without missing a beat. Hey, we bloggers know that we can't miss a picture opportunity when we see one.
I was excited to see that Mountain View High was going to participate in the parade, since I never see them in the Provo one. But instead of showing off their artistic talent with a well-rehearsed marching band like the other high schools, we got hyperactive cheerleaders showing us how high they can kick and football players stuffed on a truck shouting things to the crowd. Great. I really want to cheer for that. This reinforces my fear that perhaps the school that once shined in the arts may now barely even have a department for it.
So the parade went on and on and the kids became restless which was only momentarily subdued by green UVU suckers from my Alma mater:
We finally left before it was ended to head over to the rides and Ashton entertained the crowds while we walked with his "Sidewalk Jig" that was accompanied by the Mexican float that was following us down the street:

I always find the attendees of fairs such an eclectic mix. Kind of like Lagoon too. You've got the families that are a model of preparedness with their double strollers stocked with any item that might possibly become necessary and older children harnessed into "kid leashes"- as to not stray too far- waiting in line alongside huge groups of loud mouth teenagers that think a bikini top and daisy dukes are appropriate attire to a family-themed event. Throw in the more laid back but frazzled parents like us trying to keep up with their kids with the plethora of BYU students on dates and you got a pretty mixed bag.
We, of course, gamely played along with the kiddy rides for awhile but David wanted to take Ashton over to the other side where all the "ride this rickety and rusted death trap if you dare" rides were located. There is where we met with the Vomit Machine:
David appropriately named this beast after he barely wobbled off with his insides intact. I can't believe he convinced Ashton to go and I can't believe I let them. I had three panic attacks waiting for them while listening to the scrambler ride next to me screech and moan as loud as thunder every time it came to a stop. Do they have any maintenance codes for these things?
David said that there was puke all over the cement below the ride. Disgusting. If they can't be bothered to clean up after someone loses their dinner, they are merely asking for repeat offenses.
But we capped the night off nicely with a grand firework viewing on the grass with the children finally winding down in preparation to conk out in the car on the way home.

Our adventure didn't end there though...while the children slept peacefully in the back, David and I had an interesting run in (not literally) with a car full of intoxicated college students and three cops. But I'll leave that story for another post...
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Parade Charade, Summerfest Pest and the Vomit Machine
Posted by Stacy at 11:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I love the summerfest but we were gone this last weekend and didn't get to go! Sad for MV and I totally understand!
OK I am totally waiting for part 2 of this post!! I have been laughing through the entire thing. Sorry about the vomit Dave I would have vomited seeing all the vomit! OOOOOOOOH YUCK!
That ride brings back some funny but sad memories! A few years ago I took Olivia on it with me. She hated it and kept asking when it would be over. It slowed down, and I said, "It's almost done"...then it went in the opposite direction! I'm so glad you enjoyed Summerfest! It looks like fun.
OMG, speaking of vomit machines, this Saturday is S.O.S.A.D., which is a day dedicated to orange snack foods. So Zander can be in Cheez-Its heaven.
(I only know about S.O.S.A.D. through my friend Giddy who has this amazing ability to know about everything cool on the Earth, so credit where credit is due.)
Ashton and Ethan do really need to get together. He makes me laugh. Deron took the boys because there was no way that i was going to sit in the heat with my big belly and sweat! You are a saint. I hate that kind of atmosphere. It really brings out the "best" Orem has to offer doean't it? Love the great post. I clearly will not support such a racist fruit holiday, and I try to stay as far away from Spanish fork as possible. Thanks for the video from Adam on you tube. I am completely embarressed of myself, and surprised I had any friends. Thanks for taking pity on such a loser.
See, it is posts like this one that really make me glad that I missed the parade. Although I am sad that I missed seeing fun people like you there. I would tell myself that I will go next year but I already know I will skip it because of having a one year old.
Hmmm, that is really weird to think about...
You forgot to mention your run in with my friends while I was stuck standing around Chilis making $2 an hour because everyone and their dog (apparently) was at the Summerfest! And by the by, Ben and I went to Strawberry Days and enjoyed some yummy strawberries and creme while watching the Vomit Machine itself wondering whether or not we should ride it for a great price of 4 tickets per person, ($1.50 per ticket.) We opted not after we stuffed ourselves silly with Bajios and strawberries. And you ain't seen the "best of the best" of people until you've been to Pleasant Grove Festival I might add.
Post a Comment