This weekend Zander began sleeping through the night with his new helmet on and he did pretty good. Up until this point, he would generally wake up once a night and then in the morning (bright and early usually around 6:30 or 7 am, which I am definitely NOT loving). These last two nights he woke up once or twice more, which is much better than I expected considering his new pillow is a hard piece of foam and plastic enveloping his head and making him create pools of sweat on his sheets ( I know right! This is too much to bear...) Anyways, I have to say again that he is being an amazing sport about all this and I love him to death.
Additionally, I have finally convinced my beautiful, younger sister to join the blogging world. Here she is if you can't remember her:
She is just starting up and already kind of frustrated by the whole set up thing so I wanted to put the word out there so any of you who might know her can throw a comment or two her way so she will catch the bug and keep going. I have a link on the sidebar for "JustJamie".
On Saturday I had an experience at Walmart (my second home) that I wanted to share and see what people thought because David does not believe I handled the situation correctly. Since most readers of this blog are young mothers like me, I want to take a poll with a "what would you have done?".
So I made a quick emergency trip to Walmart early Saturday evening when the sun was just about going down. As soon as I got out of my car, my "Momdar" (that would be radar for moms), immediately heard a distant but very intense baby cry. I looked around and just saw customers filing about nonchalantly so most people would have thought it was just another mom somewhere in Walmart or the parking lot wrestling with a baby temper tantrum. But my instinct was very clear that there was a baby in a car somewhere. I checked around and indeed found a baby alone in the backseat of a minivan screaming her head off. She looked to be around 7-8 months old. I quickly looked over the car (nicer minivan, recently bought as still had temporary tags) and her immediate surroundings (nice car seat with several toy attachments). My immediate thought was to call the police, however, I remembered the story of that mom back east somewhere who was arrested and her children temporarily taken away when she left her baby in the car while she and her other two children put change in a coin machine allegedly just 30 feet away. The charges all eventually were dropped but I know the stories said the family went through a lot with the ordeal. In that moment, I decided to run into Walmart and have the mother paged.
After speaking with the nearest employee and making sure they paged right away, I quickly went back out to the car and stood at the window trying to smile and talk to the baby to calm her down. But she wasn't having any of that, she was not well pleased to see me at all and wanted her mother and thankfully I soon saw a woman bounding out of Walmart towards me. She thanked me profusely and told me that she had just been there a minute and had "forgotten" she had brought her daughter.
Forgotten??? I found that a little disturbing, but would it have been any more disturbing if she had meant to do it? Who knew how long the baby had been there as my involvement lasted at least five minutes and the first time I saw her she had snot running from both nostrils and a severely tear-streaked face which would indicate that she had been crying for a bit.
So did I do the right thing??? Should I have called the police instead? I certainly did a lot better than several people I saw actually walk by the near vicinity and do nothing before I found the baby. And the little girl immediately stopped her wailing once she caught sight of her mother. If I had called the police, they most likely would have kept them apart while they "investigated" and who knows what would have happened after that.
The woman made a mistake, a terrible one I could never fathom making as the closest I've ever come to leaving my baby in the car is walking Ashton to the front door of preschool when Zander is with me. But, we are all far from perfect and being a mother comes with its share of learning experiences....
David thinks I should have called the police right away, no matter what the consequences. What do you think? What would you have done?
**UPDATE***I just read in the news this morning, Tuesday the 29th, that yesterday an 18 month old baby was found dead in the car after her mother "forgot" and left her in the car for several hours after unloading the groceries....now, looking back, I feel as if I may have done the wrong thing.
Monday, April 28, 2008
We made it through the weekend!!! and a "what would you have done" scenario...
Posted by Stacy at 11:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Whew-- wow. Honestly, I would've done EXACTLY what you did... after agonizing for a few hard minutes about the police option.
But this mama deserves one fair chance to redeem herself if it really was a mistake. If she did it on purpose, maybe being "called out", literally AND figuratively, was embarassing enough that she'll see how taboo it is and think twice about doing again. If she repeats this behavior, then God help her.
I'm proud of you for going outside your comfort zone to take care of a baby in distress!!
Tyler and I agree. If you call the police she has a black mark in her book and if she EVER makes a mistake again, they won't even question taking her kids away. As a mother, I know I make mistakes too, so if it doesn't seem intentional, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But kudos to you for making sure the situation was taken care of. I do hope that mother has learned a lesson.
I think you did just fine. I'm so glad you had the sense to do what you did. Since it seems that many others were oblivious to the situation.
I watched Oprah the other day and they had a "What would you do" segment that made me think a lot! There's a show that does social experiments with actors and they set up cameras to see what the average American will do (ranging from a couple fighting to someone about to get in their car drunk). It was interesting that a lot of people did what everyone else in the WalMart parking lot did...nothing. I think you should just be proud that you stepped up and did something. I'm sure the mom is profoundly grateful to you (especially if it really was an accident), and hopefully she watched the news that night and realized how dangerous it is.
I don't want to judge, but what was the mom thinking? I don't understand "I forgot" I hope she didn't do it on purpose. It is always easy to look back and think I should have done things differently. I think you handled it really well. I was working in the bank once and a lady came in totally ticked and said she had called the police because someone had left their kid in the car. She was yelling and screaming, and it became a total scene. I understand wanting to run somewhere quickly, but not leaving your kids in the car. If you are trying to go somewhere quickly, leave your kids with a sitter! That is tough, and I hated hearing on the news about the poor baby that died because of the mom forgetting! You are a saint, and mother of the year. Bless you Stac!
hey, I'm a friend of Jamie's so I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. But I read this story and I totally think you did the right thing. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt too. I bet that mom was just hoping she could run in and pick up a few things before her baby woke up or something. Or maybe she was super stressed out.
It is worrisome to do that these days because of kidnappings and the car getting too hot. But it was really nice of you to stay by the car. I bet that mom really apreciated it. I also think the police are too intense when dealing with these situations. If there were more people like you out there, then it would be safe to leave our kids in the car (weather permitting) without having to worry.
Good work
Stace you know my feelings on the babe in the car matter, so I will not spout off here as well. But on a more important note....you called me beautiful! And you'll never live it down.
I would have done the same thing. I know a few people that have forgotten their kids in the car before. I doubt she did it on purpose. She is probably a good mother...who will think twice the next time she gets out of her car.
Post a Comment