Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Have you ever had that dream???

On a normal basis, I have the most bizarre and detailed dreams. I have often asked David in the morning, 'what did you dream about?' to which I usually get an 'I don't remember' or 'nothing'. Which I can determine is the truth because if he does dream, I usually get a play by play in the middle of the night when he talks in his sleep...(oh, he is going to KILL me for posting that). I am half kidding, it really isn't that bad, but I do hear a one-sided conversation here or there.
I ask him because I am usually looking for a reason to launch into my epic story of last night's crazy dream before I forget it.
But here is the thing. For YEARS, I have been having the same three dreams over and over again. Not exactly the same thing, but basically the same circumstance replayed with similar results. These situations are all past phases of my life that I "revisit" as my current self, with varying results of disaster.
You dream analyzers out there will probably have a load to say about what these say about my hopes, fears, anxieties, etc. and believe me, I have scrutinzied and explored all the possibilities as well. But whatever they mean, they are driving me crazy and I can't seem to rid myself of them.
Here they are in all their ridiculousness:
Dream #1-"I am a waitress/server at one of my old workplaces and I can't seem to even GET to the table, let alone actually take an order". I have been a mortgage loan processor for 4 1/2 years. This has been a very stressful and all-consuming job at times. But have I ever had a processing dream? No. Have I ever had dreams about my days in college journalism when I ran the newspaper? No. For some reason, I always have that nightmare serving dream where I can't seem to do anything! Funny enough, it is usually at the first place I served which was Galaxy Diner, the now defunct 50's restaurant by Movies 8. I was a server for nearly seven years and worked much longer at much nicer places like Sundance and Flemings, but there I am in dreamworld putting on those hideously unflattering black shorts and red shirt with black and white checkered trim. The place is packed and they keep seating me table after table to which I just wander around like an imbecile and do nothing but worry about why I can't get out there and at least get a drink order. The anxiety usually builds to a point that when I finally seem to make it out there, the table has gotten mad and left. This goes on and on forever.
Dream #2 "I suddenly realize that I have a test or final in a class that I have completely forgotten that I had and haven't been attending at all.". Now I am back in college (or high school on occasion) and some event triggers me to remember a class that I have completely spaced altogether. We're talking I showed up on the first day and never set foot in there again and now I have to go take a test and I know nothing on the subject. Usually it is math (A subject that was a thorn in my side throughout my educational career), but just the other night it was History. I somehow slip into class without much fanfare and the test is sitting in front of me. The teacher announces it is an open book exam which is fantastic, I got a lucky break!...Except for the fact that I never even bought the book! How can I "borrow" a book without drawing attention to myself? The dream drags on and on for the entire length of the class as I sit there and agonize over the first question, or for that matter how to even write my name.
Dream #3- "My highschool is doing a revival of some school play I was in and I have been asked to reprise my role...with no rehearsal". This one is the most frequent and disturbing one. Though there have been a few variances, it is usually "Oklahoma!" in which I played Ado Annie. Looking back at when I used to do theater, I did many more plays at Hale Center Theatre than I did in highschool, but for some reason, I usually end up donning those old fashioned curls and laced boots as the bubbly and dim best friend of the heroine, Laurie. And many of the old cast is back too (and some are readers of this blog!) but fortunately for them, they have had time to practice and perfect their lines (and can fit into their costumes for that matter) whereas I, either by my own procrastination or because I had no notice, am expected to perform the play from memory...of 12 years ago.
Now I am going to take a slight break here to tell you that this sort of actually happened to me in real life. It is a long story, but one time when I was asked to play the leading role in Hale Center Theatre's "Sunday" play, "Are the Meadowlarks Still Singing?", I went to WATCH the show to get an idea of the character, plot, etc. when I checked in backstage to see why the show was taking so long to start, they said it was because they were trying to get a hold of me!
WHAT!?
Turns out the two girls who were currently playing the role (double cast) had a miscommunication and were both out of town and they were somehow hoping that I had already recieved the script, memorized it and was ready to jump in. Well, ready or not, I had to jump in. Mind you, this is a Sunday production so it is considered more of a fireside type of thing where chuch groups and community members make reservations to see the show for free so it wasn't like we were "gypping" people off or anything. BUT, I performed the show in its entirety as a "cold read" in front of a packed audience. We are talking stage kisses and all. It was quite the experience and not really the nightmare it seems it would be, though I must say I have never had adreniline pumping through me like that for two hours straight. It was insane.

Anyways, back to the dream. As the performance continues, I spend most of my time frantically looking backstage for a script so I can at least get an idea of when my entrances are and what I am supposed to say. I figure if I can just quickly look over the lines I can wing the rest. But to no avail...I have to go out there and risk making a fool of myself as well as ruining the whole thing for everyone else.
Also, my old high school drama teacher is usually around too lending his creepy presence to make the whole dream that much more bizarre. And often there is a subplot involving the rest of the cast and I trying to overthrow him as director, but that actually kind of happened in real life so...

So these are my strange reoccuring dreams. I see that the basic underlying theme is anxiety and worry over things I can't seem to control, which probably says a lot about my subconscience. Oh, who am I kidding, that is a pretty good summation of my conscience mind.
So, anyone else out there have some crazy reoccuring dreams they want to share?

7 comments:

S&F Seminario said...

THIS post might give me retronightmnares. Thanks. And thank you double for giving me another chance to envision you and Cory kissing. Heh.

Emily S. said...

oh man, yep--I've had all three at one point or another!!! I think it was the play one most recently!

crazy.

Maleen said...

Yep, I have the serving one quite often. I had one just a few nights ago in fact. Sometimes people order things that I don't remember being on the menu, but there is always some table I didn't know about who are very huffy for being left waiting. Lucky me though, since I worked at the Pizza Factory, I never have to wear a uniform in my dreams.

Spencer and Joanie said...

I think SHARON hit it on the head...It must be the fond memories of you and CORY K-I-S-S-I-N-G!! Maybe you miss it?!? (Just kidding David)

The Oklahoma dream cracks me up...I hope I was lucky enough to be included in your dream dancing perfectly as "Specialty Dancer #4"?!?!

Please tell me my role was not for not? (Does that make sense?) :)

Stacy said...

Sharon and Joanie,
Although kissing Cory was, shall we say, memorable. We shan't never forget that I kissed Chris Loper in that play as well!!!!Ahhhhhhh!
PS, all speciality dancers were included in my dream as they stole the show :)

Spencer and Joanie said...

And let's NOT forgot BOTH of those facts!! ;)zxkqth

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dreams like that! My most common happen in Athe fall and I am at school and can't remember my locker combination. Or, I can't find my schedule and don't know which class I'm supposed to be going to.