
September 11th, 2001, I was living up in Salt Lake in my older sister April's house with her, my younger sister Jamie and our roommate Courtney. That morning I awoke to April busting into my room telling me something big was going on in New York. She was getting ready for work at her CPA firm and was always up before the rest of the house. Since I was due to get up and get ready for class anyway (I was attending the University of Utah), I got out of bed and wandered into her room (stepping over little baby Jaden playing on the floor) and saw a horrific picture of the Twin Towers ablaze blaring from her television. I'm not sure what my initial reaction was. I believe at first, we were all a little shocked but didn't fully comprehend the magnitude of the event until the morning continued to unfold and the depth of the disaster settled in.
I did, though, immediately think of David, as he was always my first thought in the morning (and last before bed) at the time because he was away on his mission in New Hampshire. I knew that he wasn't in direct danger from the attacks, but I did know that his mission was spread over quite a bit of the New England area and the thought of not knowing how he was made me very panicked. No matter where your loved ones were that day, you couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to be close to them, to know they were okay. And I couldn't talk to David at all.
I remember we also had a test that morning in Public Relations and that everyone was very annoyed with our instructor that she didn't even care to reschedule or turn on the television to let us get updates. Other teachers, however, ended up cancelling class the whole week.
Where were you Sept 11th? Did you know anyone in any of the areas hit by the attacks? One day when Sept 11th is a more distant memory, our grandchildren will ask us this same question.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Where were you when....
Posted by Stacy at 10:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Tyler and I were in Ukraine. We were at the house of the Coordinator eating dinner when we got the news. It didn't seem real since I was so far away. But I still mourned the loss of so many lives and admired the bravery of those involved.
I can tell you one thing though. It was a lot easier getting on the plane to Ukraine than coming back (that is when they bumped up airport security). Luckily we didn't come back for another three months.
I remember that day very well, too. I was at home getting ready for work when I had heard the news from my brother who was visiting. My other brother was flying from Chicago (where he lives) to a business appointment in New York. Needless to say, we were all a little freaked out. I remeber feeling numb and I cried. What a horrible day!
I remember the day like it was yesterday. I had just barely returned to BYU for fall semester. I didn't turn on any t.v.s or radios before rushing off to French class. That is where my classmates told me the news. Our class was canceled and we all went and attended a special devotional that the school held for the students in the Marriott Center. I didn't know anyone personally in the attacks, but I had two EFY boys who had dads in the towers and survived. I was also in NYC the weekend before Sept. 11 and I remember looking at the towers on a foggy day from the observation deck of the Empire State Building. Little did I know...
Sorry for the rambling, I guess that kind of set something off inside of me.
These pictures make it all come back. Sean was a small baby (not even two months old). I remember getting a call from Darin telling me to turn on the t.v. When I turned it on I just kept shaking my head in disbelief. The disbelief turned to tears and I remember holding Sean until he slept, then I would pick up Olivia (then 2 1/2) and hold her. I wrote a very long entry in my journal, knowing that I was watching a huge part of history in the making. I remember being so overcome with sadness, and I didn't even know anyone personally affected. I can only imagine the impact on those who lived through this or had loved ones who didn't.
I was living in St. George. I was planning to go to breakfast with my friend Jamie. She called me and said, "We're being attacked." i turned on TV in enough time to catch up and to watch the plane hit the second tower. Amazing. I was working at KCSG television a KSL affiliate, and the TV was on all day. I got to watch all the updates and those planes fly into the same buildings over and over and over. Very traumatic week.
Oh, by the way. I had a friend in the capitol building that day lobbying for farmers rights (of all things) she was evacuated in time to find out that the plane that was taken down in PA was headed for them. Crazy stuff.
Clark and I were living in Provo and he was driving me to Kinkos (where I used to work) and we heard it on the radio. It sounded like a prank and I didn't believe what I was hearing until, I saw it on the TV when I got to Kinkos. I didn't even know what to think, I was in shock and couldn't believe that people still needed to make copies at a time like that. I kept telling all of the customers in case they didn't know what just happened. I saw the 2nd tower go down on live T.V. and I couldn't even think of working. I just wanted to spend time with my family. Kind of puts things in perspective.
Post a Comment