From days of long ago...
Comes a memory, the memory of....
VOLTRON: DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE
Earlier this year, Ashton discovered and fell in love with this campy vintage cartoon from the eighties and his devotion has never wavered. Remember the cute lemonade stand he did back when the weather was still in the 50's? He was trying to earn money to purchase a Voltron action figure off of Ebay. After all, with the franchise being out of production for over 20 years you can't go to your local Wal-mart and pick one up. Unfortunately, I was surprised at what a cult hit this was because every one we tried to bid on ended up selling for over a hundred bucks, some that were in better condition even sold for upwards of two hundred dollars. Now, I love Ashton and want him to be happy, but I just couldn't see myself paying over a hundred dollars for a plastic toy that was five times older than he was. I tried to distract him with other toy options and we set up a system, where he could "earn" stars to pay for the toys he wanted versus me just caving and buying them everytime he wanted something:
But Voltron was never forgotten, David had the same Voltron action figure when he was a boy just about Ashton's age. His mom scoured her old boxes of toys and was only able to find two of the five robot lions that form Voltron (don't ask) the green and the blue one. Just a week ago I ventured onto Ebay again to see what they had. I found a Voltron toy that was missing only one piece: the green lion that formed his right arm...exactly the piece that Ashton already had! Because he wasn't complete absolutely no one else bid on him and we could have walked away with the precious collectible for only $1, however, we felt bad so we worked out a deal with the seller and he sold it to us for $30 with shipping.
For the next couple days, Ashton asked me nearly every five minutes how much longer it would be. We had to have several discussions about it and at night before he went to bed he excitedly exclaimed that it would be one less day until Voltron arrived. On the day I was expecting the package, I caught him in my peripheral vision as I was working in the office running to the door and looking out the window seemingly every half hour swearing he "heard something".
When by the end of the day it still hadn't come and we were pulling in the driveway after a grocery store run, I was trying to explain to a disappointed Ashton that it would only be one more day when....we saw this:
A peel of delight rang through the car as he ripped off his seatbelt and made it to the doorway in record time.
(Yes that is chocolate on his face from a donut I let him eat at the store...)
The next few minutes unfolded with gasps of excitement and impatient little hands struggling with what seemed to be extra strength packaging tape. Amidst ripping apart cardboard, he kept saying "Dreams do come true...":
It felt like Christmas morning, watching his face light up as he pulled out each lion with a squeal of joy. Here he is reciting his favorite theme...
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
The Blessed Day Has Finally Arrived
Posted by Stacy at 9:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
So cute. Love these stories. Glad you shared.
That's great! I felt like that when I unwrapped my "Breaking Dawn" copy. I guess fun things never get old!
I too love new stuff when it comes in the mail. And that looks like an awesome toy, what with all the lions that make up the figure. Very cool. I hope Ashton never loses that feeling of dreams coming true!
Hooray for dreams coming true!!! I'm so impressed at his memorization. That's a long theme, and it recited it like a pro! Congrats on the new purchase!
So, I am a bad blogging buddy-- but I just caught up and all I can say is-- You and your family are so stinkin cute! It was our sixth year anniversary this summer too! :) Good times!
OH, I am so glad that you shared that. That was so tender. There is nothing like seeing your child so happy. The best part is is that he kept saying dreams do come true. He is so cute, and the look on his face is priceless! You are the greatest mom!
That is so great! My girls (yes girls) love Heman?!?! Funny huh? What I find truly amazing is that he waited long enough for you to get your camera to take pictures of the box on your doorstep....or do you always have your camera ready for action :)
this made me laugh in delight, and totally made me choke up. What a sweet, amazing kiddo and what a fun memory for you to catch on film and blog. "Dreams really do come true"... Priceless.
This seriously made my husband's night. The fact that Voltron was one of his favorites when he was a kid...30 years ago...it brought back some good memories for him. Live on Voltron!
Oh man what could be better than that video. I loved it. He is so your son. I can't believe he knows the whole thing. OH I just loved that video. So fun.
Post a Comment