Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Twas the Night Before Christmas


Just as we have two Thanksgivings in our family, we get to have two awesome Christmas celebrations as well. Luckily, it works out that Christmas Eve is the big deal in my family and Christmas Day is the big deal in David's. I had so many pictures from both, I'm deciding to split my Christmas post into two.
Above is a picture of the Emmons family singalong. We sang carols, the kids sang little solos, my dad always makes me and my mom and sisters sing his favorite Christmas song "Christ Child" and a three part version of "Silent Night". Julene's husband Russell accompanied us on his guitar and since my dad has forgotten how to play over the years, he just pretended...


Meanwhile, as always, Zander was busy on an important phone call...



And Jamie was busy...bellowing...and eating










Just kidding, Jamie. I just happened to catch her at two unopportune times, I couldn't help it. I love you Jame.


Jamie actually gave us all an awesome Christmas present. Besides getting us all individual presents that were great (since our family keeps on growing, we don't do that anymore, we just kind of buy for the kids so it was a nice surprise), she made a musical slideshow presentation of our family that brought us all to tears. If you would like to watch it (it's kinda long, 16 minutes) I included it at the bottom of this post.
It came at a perfect time. During dinner we were all kinda crabby because the kids were wild and Jaden and Ashton had gotten into a fight which resulted in Jaden whining and pouting in the corner all during the meal. As our nerves were just about at the breaking point, Jamie ushered us all upstairs and crowded us around the computer to watch her show and all was forgotten. It ended up being one of the best Christmas Eves in recent memory (nothing can compete with the magic of childhood Christmas Eves, come on).
After dinner, the sing along and a really nice story about "If the Savior Stood Beside Me", the kids made cookies for Santa.

Luckily Ashton always knows how to strike a pose even if his cousins don't :)
Soon things were winding down and we noticed Zander was becoming a drunkard off of the discarded Sprite bottles...


We caught a few more candid family pics




And the Kent family was off to our own home. The drive back was beautiful, the roads were quiet and peaceful as snow softly fell all around us and I was filled with Christmas spirit as the kids dozed in the back, Christmas music quietly hummed from the radio and David and I looked at Christmas lights shining through the falling snow.
At home, we put the kids in their matching Christmas pajamas


And made sure Santa was taken care of


After tucking the kids in, we went straight to work (well, I did, apparently wrapping is not a man's forte). The night ended around 2 am and we collapsed into bed, knowing morning was just around the corner.

And just for good measure and to end it right, even though the greeting is long belated, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...



(this photo was snapped earlier in the evening when Grandpa had had enough of all the Christmas Chaos).

And here is the link to that family slideshow if you feel so inclined. The last song is really the best if you can make it through, plus she added a funny little thing at the end. I'm taking a big risk here by sharing this with all of you, be warned...it is riddled with fat picture of me:

fam digi 2 fam digi 2

4 comments:

Cindy B said...

It sounds like your Christmas Eve was great! I hope that the big day was just as much fun. I am behind in my posts now, but I'm trying to catch up. I loved all the pictures of your family.

Happy New Year!

Jodi said...

In response to your comment on my blog- there is no option for us not to have a HUGE vehicle anymore. So, I figure that we might as well cruise in style! (And our business pays for our gas) But, otherwise I wouldn't be so excited!

Rissa said...

Thanks for posting all your family pictures. I think I remember that picture and the white reindeeer on the piano from when we were little. Am I right? You all look fantastic.

Deanne said...

I just spent a few minutes catching up, and enjoyed every second! Hearing about David's work party had me in tears (I almost felt like I was there experiencing the palpable discomfort). Also loved the vintage photo, and the many other fun photos. I, too, have had some serious bloglag (hopefully I won't get sued for copyright infringement), but am hopefully somewhat back in the game.